Monday, May 18, 2009

Mike's Thailand Blog #1

Hi Everyone!

Well here I am in Thailand. Home to some of the best food and friendliest people in the world. I have just arrived after a body and soul bruising 30 hour trip to Bangkok. No journey is without the unexpected. Mine began with a bit of swine flu hysteria. The Japanese government with their efficency decided they would stop the pandemic at their door by requiring every person that enters the country submit to an inspection before deplaning. So 300 or so of us waited while a platoon of medical staff in full hazmat operational attire checked us over. After the 14 hour flight every minute in that sweaty plane was torture. At least I was not worried about missing a connection. Unlike the other guys next to me I had plenty of time to explore the wonders of Tokyo International airport. My first stop was the loo. The Japanese are marvels in efficency and sanitation. The toilet stall I chose featured a full door for your discretion and a gleaming seat to await my repose. It was a high tech toilet. Buttons on both side of the seat availed me a bidet with variable water pressure and a heated seat! Having never experianced a bidet I thought I would give it a try. I was immediately glad I selected the low pressure setting. The heat was nice but not necasary in my opinion.

I spent my first day shaking off jet lag and wondering the streets of Bangkok getting hopelessly lost and enjoying the street food and taking in the sights of this wonderous city. Its hot here. Very hot. The humidity is thick and pollution burns my eyes whenever I venture outside. I am staying in the backpacker ghetto of Khao San. It's a carnival atmosphere of international twenty somethings and loud rock n' roll. Your senses are assaulted in every way. But the rooms are cheap and clean. My 14.00 room avails me the use of a rooftop pool and bar with an awesome view of the city and the madness below me.

Tomorrow I fly to the North and a more tranquil setting.

Mike.

1 comment:

  1. Americans really need to take bidet lessons before venturing out into the world! I'm sure there's many a funny story out there about people's 'bad bidet experiences'...

    Look forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete